The Admissions Office determines your residency classification at time of admission. Your residency classification will remain the same throughout your continued enrollment at Western and determines the tuition and fee rate each academic term. If you wish to have your residency classification evaluated, you must complete the Residency Questionnaire and submit it with the required documentation to the Registrar's Office in person, by mail, or by email.

Application Process

The Admissions Office and Graduate School does the initial determination of residency.

What are the required documents?

Whose information would be required to prove that Washington State is their domicile?

  • Petitioning as dependent, it will be the Washington State resident’s, parent(s) or legal guardian(s), information that would be required, if the 12 months requirement was met.
  • Petitioning as independent: the student’s information will be required.

Will I be disqualified, if I do not have one of the required documents?

  • Complete the application to your best ability.

The questionnaire and all supporting documentation must be submitted within the first week of the academic term that a change in classification is sought.

Residency classifications are not given retroactively for prior academic terms. Evaluating residency classification may take up to 30 business days after the start of the quarter to complete. All tuition and fee deadlines remain in effect during the evaluation process. Do not delay tuition and fee payment just because a residency classification evaluation is in progress. During the residency evaluation process, you may be asked to provide additional documentation. All requests are sent to student’s WWU email.

Veterans or dependents/spouse of military personnel

For information on veteran status concerning Washington State Residency, please visit Veterans Services. Washington residency law is codified in RCW 28.15 and further explained in WAC 250.18.

Who Should I Contact About Residency?

Laura Jensen | Program Coordinator - Residency

Email: | Phone: (360) 650-3431

Dan Bye | Administrative Assistant
Email: | Phone: (360) 650-2019