Student Name Changes

Legal Name Change

To request that your WWU records reflect a legal name change, submit a completed Name Change Request form with required documents to the Registrar's Office via mail, fax, or email.

If you are employed by WWU in any capacity including student employment, will be paid an honorarium, or are a financial aid recipient or applied for FAFSA, a social security card reflecting new name is required.

Graduating? If you submitted your graduation application, then you will need to contact a Degree Evaluator at 360-650-3985, to notify them the name you want printed on your diploma.

Places Where Legal First Name is Used

  • Financial Aid
  • Official Transcripts
  • Transact/CASHNet Payment Portal AKA Western Account Online
  • Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests (unless you have chosen Confidential Status)

Preventing External Use of Your Legal Name

If you do not want WWU to share your legal name with external organizations, you may restrict the release of your directory information at any time and gain confidential status.

Choosing confidential status means you will not be listed in the student directory and WWU cannot confirm your student status (e.g., for the purposes of degree verification for job applicants, insurance verifications, registration issues, etc.). For more information on confidential status and restricting the release of your information, please see the Registrar's Office FERPA page.

Student Lived First Name

In support of Western Washington University's long-standing commitment to diversity, any student can use a lived first name (sometimes referred to as "preferred name") at WWU regardless of whether they have obtained a legal name change.

Lived first names are used in most university communications and displayed by default in many locations across Western, including but not limited to those listed below. Please note that some academic records, such as official transcripts, will reflect legal name.

Places Where Lived First Name is Used

  • Academic History (unofficial transcripts)
  • Campus Directory
  • Canvas
  • Class Lists
  • Email Display Name
  • Grade Rosters
  • President's List (Honor Roll)
  • Photo Rosters
  • Transfer Equivalency Report
  • Western ID Card
  • Western Libraries

How to Indicate Your Lived First Name

To indicate your lived first name, complete and submit the Student Preferred Name Change e-sign formPlease allow two business days for lived first name to be updated in the WWU internal locations listed above.

Staff with an administrative need (e.g., police, health, and financial services; Registrar's Office; advisors) will see both legal and lived names.

Changing Your Western ID Card

After two business days, your lived name will appear in the system and you can request a new Western ID Card by contacting the Western Card Office. At your request, a new photo will be taken and printed on the new Western Card. There is no fee for this service.

Faculty & Staff

Name changes for Faculty & Staff are administered by Human Resources.  Detailed information can currently be found on the LGBTQ+ website.

Who Should I Contact About Name Changes?

Zoey Brodsky | Forms & Records Analyst
Email: | Phone: (360) 650-3301