Registrar's Office FAQs

Fall 2021 Registration

Fall 2021 Phase I registration for continuing students begins on Wednesday, June 2nd. 

New First-Year and Running Start students are required to attend Fall Advising and Registration. Reservations are scheduled to open June 7. Students will register for courses at their Fall A&R session during the 30 minute individual appointment time, communicated the morning of their advising session.

New Transfer and Post-Baccalaureate students are strongly encouraged to attend Fall Advising and Registration. Fall A&R sessions will be the first opportunity for transfer and post-baccalaureate students to register. Reservations are scheduled to open on June 7. Students who do not attend Fall A&R will register during Phase II, beginning August 31, 2021 at 8:30am.

All COVID-related temporary grading policies will expire at the end of Summer Session 2021.

It is always a good idea to look at the notes/text in Classfinder that better describes the details of each class.  Those descriptions come directly from the academic departments and contain important information that can help you organize your schedule.

It is a good idea to review the text descriptions for each class in Classfinder to ensure that your instructor is not planning any in-person components.  If they are not, then no you would not need to be in Bellingham in the fall.

Fall 2021 courses are offered in a variety of delivery methods due to COVID-19. Refer to the course delivery method, time, and location in ClassFinder for more information.

Face-to-Face: Courses taught in-person. Refer to the Time and Location for meeting times and room information.

Remote - Synchronous: Courses originally approved to be offered face-to-face, which will be offered remotely during the pandemic, with designated meeting dates and times. Refer to the course Time information for arranged meeting times.

Remote - Asynchronous: Courses originally approved to be offered face-to-face, which will be offered remotely during the pandemic, which do not have a specific meeting day/time.

Hybrid: Courses taught with a hybrid of Face-to-Face and either Remote - Synchronous or Remote - Asynchronous delivery methods. Refer to the Time and Location for meeting times and room information.

Remote-Blended: Courses originally approved to be offered face-to-face, which will be offered remotely during the pandemic in a blend of Remote - Synchronous and Remote - Asynchronous delivery methods. Refer to the course Time information for arranged meeting days/times.

WWU Online: Courses which have been approved and designed to be taught online.


For more information on using ClassFinder and the new course delivery methods, see the ClassFinder Delivery Methods YouTube video.

ClassFinder. The most commonly used tool on campus for student to search for courses. Students can use the Scratch Sheet tool to plan their schedule, and search by course attributes such as GUR attributes and delivery method.


TimeTable of Classes. This tools provides students detailed course pre-requisites, as well as shows how many students are on the waitlist for a specific course section.


Look-up Classes to Add. Available in Web4U, students can plan their schedule and register for courses using this tool.

Western Washington University will offer primarily in-person instruction in the 2021-22 academic year. If you cannot attend and want to request a disability-related accommodation, please visit the remote participation request website and contact the Disability Access Center. 

Please note that most of the university’s academic courses have essential in-person components. While we’ll do our best to accommodate requests for remote participation, it will not necessarily be possible in all courses.

There are some serious extenuating circumstances that could make it difficult to attend fall 2021 classes in person. If you are unable to attend in person for reasons like:

  • being unable to return to the country due to travel restrictions
  • planning to graduate in fall 2021 or winter 2022

Please complete a Remote Participation Request Form, if you can. Staff from the Office of Student Life will follow up with you after you submit the form.

General FAQs

To declare in a major, minor, or certificate, please submit the appropriate form from the list below to the department, following the routing instructions on the form:

Declare a Major: Major Declaration and Change Web Form

Declare a Minor: Minor Declaration and Change Web Form

Declare a Certificate: Certificate Declaration and Change Web Form

If you are approved into the program of your choice, the Registrar's Office will declare you into the program once the form is approved to our office. Once the major/minor/certificate is declared, you will receive an automated email to your WWU email account. 

All questions – including if you are denied acceptance into a program – should be directed to the academic department. 

Being aware of grade change deadlines, you may change to-or-from pass/no pass grading methods by filling out the Grading Mode Change e-sign form and submitting it to

To register in an Independent Study (ISP) Course, please complete and submit the Directed Independent Study and Registration Authorization Form to the instructor of the course. The instructor will then approve or deny the form and send to the Registrar's Office. Once the ISP course is created, you will registered in the course and you will receive an automated email to your WWU email account.

Current students may obtain a copy of their enrollment verification online through their Web4U.

Please visit our Enrollment Verification page for more information.

When trying to access Web4U, select the “Login for Alumni/Former Employees” tab on the right of the page.

This is also applicable for former students who have not received a degree from WWU.

If you experience difficulty with your login or need to reset your password, please contact ATUS at (360) 650-3333

Western has a three-step approach to graduation:

  1. Use the online Degree Evaluation Tool BEFORE registration to check that you are on track to graduate and to access which requirements you have left to finish.
  2. Meet with your Major and (if applicable) Minor Advisor to complete a Major and (if applicable) Minor Evaluation Form.
  3. Complete a Degree Application and attach your signed Major and (if applicable) Minor Evaluation.   

You may submit all necessary documents to the Registrar’s Office in person, or via email to Degree Evaluation.

Prospective employers and institutions will all view transcripts differently. For further questions on how they view late-withdrawals, you will want to contact the potential institution/employer.

There are a few different error messages students may receive when attempting to register for a class.

Major Restriction – Departments will often limit course enrollment to specified majors. If you have not declared that major, you will not be able to register for the course.

Closed - Registration for this course is closed.

Time conflict – The course you are attempting to register for conflicts with another class.

To view holds on your account, select the “View Holds” tab in your “Student Record”.

In order to understand how dropping a course could potentially affect your financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (360) 650-3470.

For students enrolled in 6+ credits, both the Alternative Transportation Fee and the Student Recreation Fee are included in tuition.

For gym membership pricing, visit WWU’s Rec Center Website or call (360) 650-3766.

For student bus pass pricing, visit WWU’s Transportation Website or call (360) 650-7960 

Students are eligible to live in the residence halls if they are enrolled in 8 or more credits.

For more information regarding on-campus housing, visit WWU’s University Residences Website or call (360) 650-6565.

Tuition is due on the first day of each quarter.
In order to avoid incurring late fees, you must pay off any remaining balance by the 15th of each month.

For further questions, contact the Student Business Office at (360) 650-2865.

University Withdrawal

Withdrawal from the University (Official School Withdrawal) Formal withdrawal from the University, including a self-supporting program, may be made at any time before the final two weeks of a quarter. Students must initiate the withdrawal process in the Registrar’s Office or at their extension site. A student must contact the appropriate extension office for formal withdrawal from a self-supporting course. Beginning the first day of classes, a grade of SW (school withdrawal) is posted for each course for which the student was registered.

Students who leave the University during a quarter without formal withdrawal receive failing grades. A student who is unable to complete the quarter due to hardship may petition to withdraw from the University after the stated deadline. Hardship is considered to be an incapacitating illness or injury requiring extensive recuperation or a significant personal emergency such as a death in the immediate family.

Students who officially withdraw from Western before the sixth day of the quarter will receive a full refund of tuition and fees. See the sections under University Academic Policies for information on withdrawing from the University. The $250 enrollment fee is nonrefundable.

Students who officially withdraw on or after the sixth day of the quarter and within the first 30 calendar days will receive a credit of one-half of their tuition. After the fifth day of instruction, the health services, building, technology, recreation, transportation and renewable energy and course and audit fees are nonrefundable. A statutory pro rata return of financial aid is required for students who received Title IV federal financial aid. The refund policy is available in the Financial Aid Department.

Students who withdraw after the 30th day will not receive a refund. The refund deadlines for each quarter are listed on the Registrar’s website.

Students who received federal or state financial aid or other support may be required to return part or all of the aid. Refer to the FAQs located on Student Accounts website.

Dean's Withdrawal

The purpose of the Dean’s Withdrawal is to assist a student who is unable to complete the quarter or a class due to compelling circumstances beyond their control or due to a significant hardship (such as incapacitating illness or injury). 

Students may be eligible for a Dean’s Withdrawal when they: 

  • are unable to complete the quarter or a class due to compelling circumstances beyond their control; or experience a significant hardship (such as incapacitating illness or injury); AND 
  • have not been completed and/or the final exam has not been administered/taken; AND 
  • they have not taken a previous Dean’s Withdrawal (or Hardship Withdrawal) – students who have received a previous hardship withdrawal should contact the Office of Student Life.

For more detailed information, visit

Address changes may be made via the Web4U Address Change Form. Address changes cannot be made over the telephone.

Course attendance normally is required by the instructor. Any student who fails to attend the first meeting of a course may be required to drop it if another student, previously unable to register for the course due to enrollment limitations, seeks admission.

A student absent from any exam or class activity through sickness or other cause judged by the instructor to be unavoidable shall be given an opportunity to take a rescheduled exam or make up the class assignment in a timely manner agreed upon by the instructor (see Leaves of Absence). Examples of unavoidable cause may include participation in University-sponsored activities such as debating contests, musical or theatrical performances, or intercollegiate athletic competition.

University policy does not allow a student to attend a class without formally being registered for it. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that he or she is properly registered for each course.

Western requires all students born after January 1, 1957 to provide medical documentation of immunity to rubeola measles to the Student Health Center before they will be allowed to register for classes or live in on-campus housing. See the Student Health Center website for complete details.

By registering, a student incurs a legal debt to the University and can be released from that obligation only by formally withdrawing within the full-refund period. The $300 enrollment fee is never refundable. Tuition and fees and housing payments are due the first day of the quarter. Charges incurred on or after the statement date are due immediately. After the third Friday of each quarter a fee of $40 will be assessed each month there is a balance on the student’s account. Tuition due dates are posted on the Registrar’s Office and Student Account's websites. A one percent interest charge will be assessed monthly on all past due accounts.

University policy requires that all students meet our COVID vaccination requirements. Students are not allowed to participate in: in-person classes, on-campus activities, or move into University housing until they have provided documentation of full COVID vaccination status to the Student Health Center or been granted a waiver. Faculty are provided information about the compliance status of each student enrolled in each of their classes. Note: You may not attend any in-person class, until you have submitted the necessary documents to comply with the COVID vaccination policy. For classes that have been approved to be limited only to vaccinated students, faculty are also given information about which students have waivers so that they may work with those students to mitigate risk to the health and safety of our campus community.